Re: Composition of PuBe Sources

Greg Sackett wrote:

> Happy Holidays all!
>
> I am trying to claculate doses from a theoretical PuBe source that
> is lost, given that it weighs 100g.  Does anyone know approximately
> what this would correspond to in activity?  What percentage
> of the source is Pu, Be, or casing?  I am grateful for any help
> you can give me...
>
> Regards,
>
> Greg

> Greg Sackett
> Health Physicist
> Enercon Services, Inc.
> (301) 926-7596
> gregsackett@radix.net
>
> Texas A&M University, Class of '93, '95

Greg:
You don't say whether it's 238 or 239. The specific activity of 238 is
about 16 Ci/gm while 239 is about 16 gm/Ci.For more information ou may
find that Cember's Introduction to Health Physics is helpful. Look on
pages 121-126 and 279-280 and the references thereto.
--
Best wishes,

Wade

<hwade@talltown.com>

H.Wade Patterson
1116 Linda Lane
Lakeview OR 97630
ph 541 947-4974

I can stand brute force, but brute reason is quite unbearable.  There is
something unfair about it.  It is hitting below the intellect.
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray, iii, 1891