Blatant refusal to "follow" procedures

Here is an article regarding a facility fined 5 times by the NRC for
violating regulations. NOTE: The article refers to these violations
as "violating federal radiation-safety rules." This is what the
public sees. While a violation CAN affect safety, not all violations
have anything to do with safety. Granted, individuals are supposed to
receive annual requalification training ,,, however, NOT receiving
the training in no way infers that safety is being jeopardized. Same
way with audits of materials.

Before someone jumps on me, I am not saying that they should n't have
been issued the citations. If I were in charge of the NRC program, I
would recommend issuing a "Cease and Desist" Order ASAP due to their
attitude towards regulations, procedures and safety in general. Note
the statement from the facility Director .. "concedes the
irregularities and says the hospital will pay the fine, but no one
will be disciplined."  Want to bet how the public views the NRC, the
facility and the Director???
----------------
CLEVELAND, Dec. 26 (UPI) -- The Nuclear Regulatory Commission plans
to fine the Cleveland Clinic for violating federal radiation-safety rules.
  It will be the fifth time the medical center in
Cleveland has been fined -- a national record. The NRC says the
clinic deliberately failed to provide annual training for workers and
yearly audits of how radioactive materials were handled.  The agency
also says top administrators knew about the violations and  refused
to correct them.  The NRC is fining the clinic $5,000, twice the
standard amount. The agency says the violations began in 1993 and
continued until this past spring.
 Clinic Division of Health Chairman John Clough concedes the
irregularities and says the hospital will pay the fine, but no one
will be disciplined. Clough said the violations didn't directly harm
any workers or patients, but a 1991 memo called the radiation-safety
program an ``embarrassment.''

Sandy Perle
Director, Technical Operations
ICN Dosimetry Division