One last comment on Irradiation -Reply

Perhaps we should speak a little more precisely on the subject of food irradiation.  Let it be
known that no one has the option of eating unirradiated food.  Everything is irradiated all the
time.  The issue is the magnitude and purpose of the dose.

To health physicists, this is a matter of semantics; we all know the when we say "irradiated"
we mean "processed with large doses."  In public discussions, however, the distinction is
important.  Once the question is moved from "yes or no?" to "how much?" the emotional
content is significantly diminished.

Charlie Willis
caw@nrc.gov