From: occ-env-med-l-owner
To: Stuart Thompson; occ-env-med-l
Subject: OEM: Nuclear Power
Date: Friday, January 03, 1997 1:06PM

I'm not impressed with all the to'ing and fro'ing about positive and
negative versions of Rachel's News and Nuclear Power.

We seem to be forgetting the basic question that makes me query the
sense of committing ourselves to nuclear power as a "clean"
technology -

WHAT DO WE DO WITH THE WASTE GENERATED BY THE NUCLEAR INDUSTRY?

It seems that this question hasn't ever been satisfactorily answered
by proponents of the nuclear power industry, nor by
occupational/environmental health practitioners/physicians who
support the use of nuclear power as an alternative to "dirty"
technologies.

In the absence of an adequate answer, it seems Faustian to
present nuclear power as a meaningful alternative.

Leslie London, MD
Occupational Health Research Unit
Department of Community Health
University of Cape Town