Info. about The Food and Water (FW)

Happy New Year!

I have had trouble to send this note since 1/3/97 in case you receive
more than once.

The Food and Water (an active group against food irradiation)  was
mentioned in the WALL STREET J. (WSJ) about couple years ago. I do not
have the exact date. Info. below is taken from the WSJ article.

1. FW was founded by Walter Burnstein, a NJ doctor and his son-in-law,
Michael Colby leads the group. Mr. Colby is a U. of Iowa dropout (
journalism major). FW membership is about 3500.

2. A list of six scientists Mr. Colby faxed to WSJ. None had ever
conducted any research on food irradiation. Dr. Donald Luria of the NJ
School of Med. (one in the list) even acknowledged obvious potential
benefits of food irradiation.

3. "Mr. Colby stated that his annual budget is $500,000 but refuses to
release his financial records, ...". The article list 11 financial
supporters. The biggest contributot was the Mary Reynolds Babcock
Foundation which I think it's a tabacco company.

This is only my opinion...
Myung Chul Jo <mjo@scs.unr.edu>
(702) 784-4540(voice)
(702) 784-4553(fax)