Re: F18 transport

>Our institution is interested in shipping F18 (cyclotron produced positron
emitter)
> out of state. It would be picked up by the purchaser at our facility
>and transported in their vehicle. The maximum activity would be about
>1 Curie.
>
>What are the regulatory requirements for this? I assume a shielded
>package with Transport Index labeling. Is there any other precaution
>or requirement to be aware of??
>
>Is this covered by anyone besides the DOT?

DOT (49 CFR) it is.  As I understand it, there can be no shipments such as
that without preparation by someone who has taken a DOT-approved radioactive
materials shipping training course, and is current in the training.  That
implies that there should be someone there who knows the requirements and
can fill out the appropriate paperwork... is there?  If so, why don't you
ask him/her?  If not, should you even be attempting this shipment?

Scott O. Schwahn, CHP
Newport News, VA
schwahn@jlab.org