UNAVAILABILITY

DEAR HEALTH PHYSICS AND MEDICAL PHYSICS COLLEAGUE:

        For a few weeks I will not be available.  As you read this, I'll be
undergoing bypass surgery at my hospital, Saint Francis Hospital in Tulsa.
Those of you who know me well will share my surprise at this because I've
always exercised and paid attention to my health.

        It all started Saturday morning.  After a short work out at
Jeanie's and my health club, I began to experience mild pain in my mid
chest.  It soon developed into pronounced cool sweats.  I rushed to my
hospital which was only a mile away.  Within 20 minutes, I was on
Streptokinase.  It was very scary.

        I stabilized quickly and expected to be out of the hospital the
next day.  WRONG!!  My cardiac cath. on Tuesday showed that although my
heart attack caused minimal damage, there were other vessels that were in
pretty bad shape.  The best medical recommendations were for bypass
surgery.  I had a difficult time, but I am accepting this alternative.  I'm
terrified of the procedure, but now feel comfortable with my decision.

        The problem I have is some times referred to as silent ischemia.
Although I exercise faithfully and live an active life, there was probably
an oxygen deficiency to my heart often.  Unfortunately, I experienced no
pain with this so I didn't have any idea until the heart attack on
Saturday.

        The good news is that I expect to be even better after surgery.  I
look forward to being back to my friends, colleagues, challenges, and
responsibilities.  Please keep me in your thoughts.  I'll have Jane post a
message early next week to say how things went.

David S. Gooden, Ph.D., J.D.
Director, Biomedical Physics
Saint Francis Hospital
6161 S. Yale Ave.
Tulsa, OK  74136
Phone:  918-494-1444
FAX:  918-494-1452
email:  gooden@vms.ocom.okstate.edu

P.S.  If you haven't had a recent treadmill test, get one.  This is the one
thing I might have done better.  Also check with a physician about taking
an aspirin a day.  Some think this is important for men over fifty.