Repost - Radwaste stored under school

It seems that my post earlier did not have the text part of the
article. I do not know why that happened. Here is the article I
"posted" earlier...

HONG KONG, Jan. 12  - Hong Kong has put off plans to move a
radioactive waste dump that sits below a school and a convalescent
home for tuberculosis patients.
 The South China Morning Post reports Sunday it will take at least
another 18 months to move the low-level radioactive waste to a new
facility being built on a nearby deserted island.
 Currently the radioactive materials are sitting in a tunnel that was
 built during World War II as an air raid shelter. The tunnel is
located in Hong Kong's downtown Wan Chai (``WAHN CHIGH'') district,
directly below both the Wah Yan College and the Freni Memorial
Convalescent Home.
 It is filled with metal drums containing radioactive waste from the
manufacture of luminous watch dials, smoke detectors and other
low-level waste.
 The city's Civil Engineering Department ruled the site unsafe in 1992
  and ordered it relined. Meanwhile, construction delays have hit the
new $8-million radioactive waste dump being built on Siu A Chau
(``SHOO-ah- CHOW'') island.
 Officials say it will be at least another year and a half before the
 new facility is opened.

Sandy Perle
Director, Technical Operations
ICN Dosimetry Division