Re: NVLAP "and" DOELAP accredited dosimetry programs

At 10:38 AM 1/13/97 -0600, you wrote:

>I'm looking for a dosimetry company that is accredited by
>NVLAP and DOELAP for TLD dosimetry.
>If you know of any companies, I would appreciate your response
>about your experience with them and a name of somebody to contact.

There is an important distinction between NVLAP and DOELAP accreditation.
NVLAP accredits only the processing function, and accreditation can be
obtained by any organization that can successfully meet the NIST criteria.
In the NRC-regulated world, dosimetry used to demonstrate compliance with
dose limits in 10CFR20 must be processed by an accredited processor.

DOELAP accredits the dosimetry user, which includes proficiency testing and
assessment of the processor as well as the operating organization using the
dosimeters. Thus, you can go shopping for the services of a
NVLAP-accredited commercial processing company, but, as a dosimetry user,
you must obtain accreditation from DOELAP. This can be done using a
commercial processor.

Bob Flood
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
(415) 926-3793     bflood@slac.stanford.edu
Unless otherwise noted, all opinions are mine alone.