Calculation Check

Dear Radsafers

I have recently calculated the dose conversion coefficient for uranium ore dust
to be 3.5E-6 Sv/Bq (total activity) or 7E-6 Sv/alpha disintegration per second.

My assumptions are as follows;

AMAD = 5E-6m
All isotopes are type S (or type M where ICRP 68 has no type S listing)
Rn-222, Po-218, Pb-214, Bi-214 and Po-214 are absent from the mixture
All isotopes are in secular equilibrium
U-235 chain ignored
Very low probability branches (eg At-218) in U-Series ignored
Pa-234m contributes to total activity of mixture but not to dose (not in ICRP68)

Comments on my results, and assumptions will be appreciated.

Regards

Alex Zapantis
Environmental Radiation Officer
Office of the Supervising Scientist
40 Blackall Street
Barton ACT 2600 AUSTRALIA

Email: azapantis@mgdestmx01.erin.gov.au
Fax : (int+) 61 6 274 1519
Phone: (int+) 61 6 274 1642

The Office of the Supervising Scientist is a Branch of the
         Federal Environment Protection Group