SI units -- observable and derived

To RADSAFE:

The recent flurry of messages about SI units sent me to my dictionaries
and handbooks to try and dig up some of the history.

When I want a horseback estimate of some geographical quantity, such as
the also recently discussed volume of the oceans, I usually start with
the definition of the meter as 1.0E-7 of the distance from the pole to
the equator along the prime meridian.  Sure enough, my American Heritage
Dictionary, 2nd College Edition, notes that the meter was defined in
1790 as 1.0E-7 of the Earth's quadrant along the meridian passing
through Paris ( ... of course).  Memory is that sometime around 1900, it
was redefined as an artifact, the distance between two marks on a bar of
precious metal kept under defined conditions somewhere in Paris ( ... of
course).  Subsequently, in 1960 it was redefined as the length equal to
1,650,763.73 wavelengths of the orange-red radiation of Krypton-86
(probably of an atom kept somewhere in Paris).  The General Electric
Chart of the Nuclides, 14th Edition, notes that in 1983 the CGPM (the
General Conference of Weights and Measures) redefined the meter as
distance traveled by light in a vacuum during 1/299792458 of a second.

Similarly, the Geigy Scientific Tables, 7th Edition, notes that "up
until 1964, the litre (l) was defined as the volume occupied by 1 kg of
pure air-free water at its maximum density (approx. 3.98 degrees C)
under normal atmospheric pressure. ... In 1950 the International
Commission of Weights and Measures gave 1 litre = 1.000028 cubic
decimetre (relative uncertainty = +/- 3.0E-6) as the best conversion
factor between the litre so defined and the cubic decimetre.  In 1964
the 12th General Conference of Weights and Measures abolished the old
litre definition of the 3rd General Conference in 1901 and agreed that
the name 'litre' should be used as a synonym for cubic decimetre ...".
Thus, a liter is now officially and exactly 1000 cubic centimeters, but
a cubic centimeter no longer contains exactly 1 gram of water.

The most significant digits I could find for Avogadro's number was

        6.0221367E+23 with a standard deviation of 0.0000036E+23

given the the GE Chart of the Nuclides.

The lesson seems to be that metric (or rather SI) units wander back and
forth between being defined in terms of physically observable quantities
or in terms of physical artifacts or being derived from other units.

Best regards.

Jim Dukelow
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
Richland, WA