Re: Ion Chamber Calibration

At 01:12 PM 1/23/97 -0600, you wrote:

>     I am posting this to RADSAFE for an individual who does not have
>     access.
>
>     We are looking for a Sr-90 source jig to calibrate and response test
>     RO-20 or equivalent ion chambers. The source must be strong enough to
>     test all scales. If anyone has one, we would be interested in
>     purchasing it at a reasonable price. Please indicate so by responding
>     to my E-Mail address and not to RADSAFE.

Isotope Products Laboratories, 818-843-7000, makes an ion chamber check source
assembly (SK-619) for response checking RO-2s and RO-2As using a 1.5 mCi source.
I am sure that this would also work with the newer Eberline Ion Chamber, the
RO-20
that you reference in your note.  You could probably get them to provide
sufficient pedigree to use the source jig for calibration purposes, though
its principal intent is for response checking.  We use this assembly for
daily operational testing at my facility and have found them to very good
products, and avoid the headaches of having to use large shielded Cs-137
irradiators for such purposes.  The cost is also very reasonable.  A contact
at IPL that I have worked with in the past is Keith Ho.

I also know that these types of jigs have been crafted by some utility
calibration
labs to suit their specific desires, again as response check assemblies only.

Best regards
Judd M. Sills, CHP           |   Office: (619)455-2049
General Atomics, Room 01-166C|      Fax: (619)455-3181
3550 General Atomics Court   |   E-Mail:  sillsj@gat.com
San Diego, CA  92121         |