Re: Japan to switch to MOX?

Erik C. Nielsen wrote:

> *** Japan mulls new atomic fuel but faces resistance

One statement in the original article is:
"Nuclear industry sources said public concern would hamper any effort to
adopt the new plutonium-based fuel. Plutonium is currently not used as a
fuel in Japanese nuclear plans."

Somehow we must get the idea that plutonium does not exist in
currently-operating nuclear power plants.  A significant fraction of the
power generated in such plants comes from the fission of plutonium that
has been produced in the fuel over time.  So, in fact, we have
MOX-powered civilian nuclear power plants all over the globe right now.
Of course, public knowledge of that fact might make more problems for us
than it solves.  What do y'all think?  Al Tschaeche xat@inel.gov