RE: Is Pu fissile?

Al,

I suspect that much of your confusion stems from the imprecise use of
"fissile" when referring to nuclides that can be split by neutrons. Although
technically incorrect, the terms "fissionable" and "fissile" have been used
interchangeably for a long time. In the currently accepted usage (at least
in the US <g>), a "fissionable" isotope is one that is capable of being
split by neutrons (the neutron's energy is not considered) - so all isotopes
of Pu are fissionable. "Fissile" isotopes require thermal neutrons to
initiate the fission reaction, so Pu-239 is fissile but Pu-240 is not.
"Fissible" isotopes require fast neutrons to initiate the fission reaction,
so Pu-240 is fissible but Pu-239 is not.

Hope that clears it up a little,
Gary Damschen
damschenga@mkf.ornl.gov
HP Training Manager