NRRPT and DOE Core Academics

Although I agree with Steve's point that the NRRPT registration should
equate to a degree to suffice for the DOE RCT Core Academics training
program, I would hesitate to encourage, or lead anyone to believe, that the
opposite is true.
As I recall from taking the NRRPT exam, it covered a number of areas that
the DOE Radiological Control "Technician" training in its entirety did not
begin to touch on.  The Core Academics for the DOE does nothing more that
qualify someone to move forward to be "trained" as an RCT.  Theoretically,
by the time someone passes the NRRPT, they have already been through an
adequate training program and have operated in a capacity that resembled
that of an RCT.  After consulting with Webster on the difference between a
"technician," and a "technologist," I would also expect that a NRRPT
registrant would reflect a broader understanding of radiation principles
than that of a technician.  Of course, it is only fair to recognize that
there are many RCTs that are equally knowledgeable that for whatever reason
have not obtained the NRRPT registration, and they are due the appropriate
respect (my boss will forever desire me to be sensitive, diplomatic, and
politically correct).

_________________________________
>_________________________________
>Subject: <NULL>
>Author:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu_at_INTERNET at X400PO
>Date:    1/27/97 7:36 AM
>

>I encourage all NRRPT Members and other interested parties to submit the
>following comment, or equivalent, in response to the proposed revision of
>10CFR835, "Occupational Radiation Protection." This revision appeared in
>the Federal Register on December 23, 1996 (Vol.61, No.247).  Even if you
>are not working in the DOE sector or Registered with the NRRPT, you are
>entitled and to comment. Inclusion of the NRRPT credential in 10CFR835
>indicates a standard of excellence in the area of technician qualifications
>and enhances the value of Registration.  Similar wording is already
>contained in the DOE RadCon Manual.
>
>"In Subpart J., "Radiation Safety Training," Section (e), I request that
>the following wording is added: Registration with the National Registry of
>Radiation Protection Technologists is encouraged."
>
>Send the comment to: Dr. Joel Rabovsky, U.S. Department of Energy, Office
>of Worker Protection Programs and Hazardous Management.  EH-52, 1000
>Independence Ave. SW, Washington DC 20585
>
>Comment must be received by Feb. 21, 1997.  A floppy disc with the text in
>an ASCII file or in WordPerfect 5.0 or later would be appreciated.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Mike Boyle, RRPT, CHP
>Chairman, National Registry of Radiation Protection Technologists

Jeff Eichorst
Occurrence Investigator
Los Alamos National Laboratory
ESH-7, MS K999, Los Alamos, NM 87545
505.665-6980		505.665-6977 fax
505.996-1117 digital pager,	jeichorst@lanl.gov

"Candor is a proof of both a just frame of mind, and of a good tone of
breeding.  It is a quality that belongs equally to the honest man and to the
gentleman."
			 - James Fenimore Cooper