On Propriety

>To: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
>Subject: On Propriety

>I am sorry, Jim, that you still do not get the scientific point, so I will
try again:  The folks in Bernie's study did not remain in their homes 24
hours a day, never venturing outside!  And, of course, the measurements
themselves that he cites are really not precise and accurate indications of
indoor radon levels. Evaluation of the radon levels could just as easily
support Bernie's findings as not; remember, we must keep an open mind and
NOT prejudge.

>But even more so, I am distressed that that you do not get the other and
perhaps more important point,and continue to choose to vituperate those with
whom you disagree. (Could this be a case of argument weak, yell like h---?)
In particular, as the Chairman of the NCRP Comittee that prepared NCRP
Report 121, I take strong exception to your comments and allegations that
the report "promulgates disinformation that isn't science".  I believe that
my Committee represented a broad spectrum of scientific viewpoint and
considerable expertise, and prepared a report that is scientifically sound
and represents a distillation of the various scientific opinions of the
Committee members that included consideration of the comments received from
the Council.  This is as it should be.  And,although I am not now nor have I
ever been a member of NCRP, I nonetheless find your ad hominem comments
regarding NCRP personally insulting, degrading, unprofessional and totally
inappropriate, whether on Radsafe or elsewhere.  Perhaps in addition to
defending his research , you would do well to emulate the gentlemanly
behavior and scientific integrity characteristic of Professor Cohen. Ad
hominem attacks have no place in science, and cast a decided chill on