Lab renovations

Please respond either to me or directly to Dick.
Anyone interested in a compilation of the responses can get them from
Dick.

Dear colleagues,

NIST soon plans to renovate its neutron activation laboratories at the
Reactor for sample irradiations and intermediate-level radiochemistry, for
the first time since they were installed in the 1960s. I would be grateful
to receive any suggestions from others' recent experience of things to do
(or not to do) to insure the most cost-effective approach to experimental
flexibility and radiological health. Stories of the "glad we did" or "wish
we had" genre are welcome, as are references to publications.

We have a shifting mix of resident staff and visiting scientists and
students, doing INAA and RNAA at the 20-MW NBSR. There are several
pneumatic tubes, but no hot cell. Manipulations for irradiation, unpacking
rabbits, and warm chemistry are done in radiochemical-grade hoods.
Short-lived activation products (down to 2-min Al-28) are measured with
several detectors in the room next to the rabbit terminals.

If your suggestions are used, you will be invited to the inauguration
ceremony. (This is a safe offer, since we always welcome visitors.)

Regards,

Richard M. (Dick) Lindstrom
Nuclear Methods Group
Analytical Chemistry Division
Paleomail: B125 Reactor Building
           Gaithersburg, MD 20899, USA
Fax:       301-208-9279
Phone:     301-975-6281
Alternate e-mail:  Richard.Lindstrom@nist.gov

 -- End of forwarded message
--
the above are the personal musing of the author,
and do not represent any past, current, or future