Re: America's future energy source?

Eric Denison wrote:

> For electric power generation, yes.  But until they can heat my house directly
> with a small reactor, I want natural gas.  Apologies to all of the utility
> folks, but electric heat just doesn't cut it.  Been there, done that, don't
> want to go back.

I live in Idaho Falls where the electric rates are probably the lowest
in the USA (3.5 cents per kilowatt hour) and the houses are very well
insulated all over.  Most houses here are heated by electrical
resistance wires in the ceilings.  It's wonderful heat.  Each room has
its own thermostat.  The heat is even.  No air filters to change or
clean.  No fan noise.  The electric bill for my 3000 sq.ft. house is
never above $220/mo even in the winter when it can get to 40 below zero
at night (but not often).  My wife likes the indoor temperature at or
above 74 degrees F.  I have had gas forced air heat in previous houses
and hate it for all the reasons I like electric heat.  So, we have had
different experiences that have shaped our points of view.  Vive le
difference.  Al xat@inel.gov