Re: Water content of a cell ?

Dear Michael,

Re your recent posting. I have done some work with Neuntron activation
analsyis of breast tissues. I used freeze-drying technique to prepare the
tissues. I computed the wet/dry ratio of weight and it came out to be
mean=2.37, median 4.52, range=2.85-5.5.  For normal breast tissue,
median=1.91, range 1.4-3.4. This gives some idea on the water content of
cells, tho indirectly.

You could refer to my papers:

Ng KH, Bradley DA, Looi LM, et al Differentiation of elemental composition
of normal and malignant breast tissue by instrumental neutron activation
analysis. Appl Rad Isot 1993; 44:511-6.

Ng K H, Bradley DA, Looi LM. Elevated trace element concentrations in
malignant breast tissues. Brit J Radiology 1997 April (in press).

Kwan-Hoong

At 07:04 AM 1/31/97 -0600, you wrote:

>For the biologists out there!
>
>In order to tidy up some dosimetry calculations we are looking for good
>data on the water content of cells.  We have come across only two
>references, one in Russian and one in Italian (we are waiting on
>translations).  There must be more out there!
>
>I would appreciate it if someone could point me to some sound scientific
>work on this subject.
>
>Mike Wood
>Radiation Biology and Health Physics Branch
>Chalk RIver Laboratories
>Chalk River Ontario, CANADA
>Woodm@aecl.ca

Kwan Hoong Ng, PhD
Department of Medical Physics
University of Wisconsin
1300 University Avenue
Madison, WI 53706
Tel: 608 263 4355, Fax: 608 262 2413

***  I shall be returning to Malaysia beginning of February. I can still be
contacted
       at the  SAME email address.
   New address:    Department of Radiology
                                 University of Malaya Medical Center