Cleaning of Ni-63 foil

        I have an authorized user of Ni-63 as ECD that wishes to "clean" the
ECD using a two day purge with 3% ozone in oxygen at 50 C followed by a
second purge consisting of UHP oxygen at 300 C for 24 hours.  The ECD is a
custom made 2 mCi Ni-63 electrodeposit on stainless steel (SS)  The ECD is
thought to be contaminated with hydrocarbon oils.

        I would appreciate any experienced radsafer comments on the relative
potential hazards associated with the suggested procedure.  Specifically,
what temperature is associated with potential contamination or removal of
the Ni-63 for the SS?. Would any Nickel oxide be formed and released?  What
about alternative gases such as nitrogen or hydrogen as cleansing purges?
Anyone aware of flow-through gas trap that could be used to collect
potential Ni-63 effluent?

        Thanks in advance for the consult.

        Rod Ice
        rod.ice@nnrc.gatech.edu
        404-894-3621
Rod Ice
Neely Nuclear Research Cener, Georgia Tech
Phone 404-894-3621
FAX   404-894-9325
EMail rod.ice@nnrc.gatech.edu