radiopharmaceutical patient release

To some....

radiopharmaceutical patient release

Some topics in the discussion on radiopharmaceutical patient release remind
me the same discussion exactly 20 years ago, when the ICRP 26, 1n 1977
introduced new concepts on radiological protection.
Experience was gained in research in the early's 1980, considering that new
standards. Procedures was taken accordingly, and in this including release
of patient after therapeutic dose of I-131

Author as Shapiro, Cember and many others in theirs books on Radiation
protection made several practical examples, on internal doses by
administration of I-131 and dose commitement.

Now begining a new century, what we observe in the RADSAFER?  The same
questions made 20 years ago. I believe, some fellows should go to a
refreshment training course, taking into account some remarks made in the
discussion.

I recommend the fellows to take a look in the proceedings of the last IRPA 9
- 1966 International Congress on Radiation Protection held in Vienna April
14-19, specially in the following papers:

1 - Effective dose and dose equivalent dose equivalent in nuclear medicine
R. E. Toohney and G. Stabin, Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education,
Oak Ridge, Vol. 3, page 473/475

2 - Development of Mathematical Phantoms for calculating internal doses from
radiopharmaceuticals using patients' digital picture of bone scintillation
K. Akahane, M. Kai a T. Kusama, The Institute of Public Heath, Tokyo  & The
University of Tokyo, Vol. 3, page 479

3 - Radiation dose rates from patients undergoing Gallium-67 Citrate study
K. Ejiri,  and .... Fujita       Health University School of Medicine,
Toyoake, Japan. Vol. 3, page 547/549

4 - Radiation Exposure around patients after administration of Tc-99m-DPD or
Tl-201-Chloride
Ernst Havlik.... L. Boltzmann-Institute of Nuclear Medicine, Vienna, Vol. 3,
page 550/552

5 - Development of Thyroid monitoring system for radiodine in Thyroid Gland,
Hideky Hangai.... Japan Atomic Energy Research Institute, Vol. 2, page 498

In Brazil the patients being discharging, after therapeutic treatment,  the
family receive the following
document:

Dear

Because you have been treated with a radioactive material, and allowed to
leave hospital, you should  take some simple precautions until de activity
of the radioactive material has decreased to an insignificant level. The
recommendations are:

1 - Avoid being close to other people, including members of your household;

2 - Do not take unnecessary journeys by public transport. When strictly
necessary take with you a vomiting bag, just as precaution;

3 - Do not return to work, visit places of entertainment or other places
where you would be close to other persons

These instructions apply until........

4 - Any doubt do not hesitate call the following number.....

	                                   MD
J. J. Rozental <josrozen@netmedia.net.il>
Consultant, Radiation Safety & Regulation
for developing country