New Release limits May Shut Down Business

On Wednesday, 2/12/97, in Santa Fe, New Mexico, the City Counsel will
consider a revision to the Sanitary Sewers/Wastewater Collection and
Disposal Ordinance for the city of Santa Fe.  The sole purpose of the
revision, in my opinion, is to permanently shut down the Interstate Nuclear
Services (INS) laundry, which has successfully and safely operated in Santa
Fe for thirty years.  The laundry processes contaminated clothing for Los
Alamos National Laboratory, the DOE Rocky Flats facility, and the Palo
Verde Nuclear Power Station, among others.
The management of the laundry has recently been under fire in the press for
what amounts to fraud.  I have no opinion at all as to whether the charges
are true or not.  I have no problem whatsoever with the city of Santa Fe
shutting down a business which does not conform to law.  However,
restricting release limits by local ordinance to be far more limiting than
Federal law is NOT the way to go about shutting down a business.  The City
has a dual obligation to protect it's citizens and to allow the operation
of legitimate businesses.  What the City is considering is essentially a
City-wide anti-nuke campaign run by the local government.

This message is hereby disclaimed.
          Ron Morgan <rgmorgan@lanl.gov>
          Operational Health Physics (ESH-1)
          Los Alamos National Laboratory