Re: Lasers and Eye Exams

We require baseline (preplacement) eye exams with protocols listed in ANSI
Z136.1 for personnel who will be operating Class 3b and 4 laser systems.
However, we have some problems giving a "termination" examination to
government workers since they leave at a moments notice.

Taking advantage of a $25,000 buyout is one of the reasons for early
departure.  :)

At 08:35 AM 2/8/97 -0600, you wrote:
>This question is addressed to universities with laser safety programs.
>
>I am trying to find out if those universities require a baseline eye exam
>prior to researchers using class 4 lasers.
>
>I seem to remember seeing a message a month or two ago against such a
>requirement.
>
>Please respond to recj@earthlink.net
>
>Thank you!

Tad  Blanchard              /__ \ /___\    NASA-Goddard Space Flt Ctr
Nat'l Health Svc, Inc            O             Greenbelt, Maryland
Sr Health Physics Tech          / \            Phone: 301-286-9157
Assistant RSO                  /___\           Fax:   301-286-1618
                  Tad.M.Blanchard.1@GSFC.NASA.gov