opinion re training for rad workers

I don't think this issue is limited to xray techs.  You can train any
radioactive material user about annual dose limits.  You can also then do
annual retraining.  However, send out annual exposure history summaries and
you are going to get questions.  No one cares about radiation safety
regulations and guidelines like a health physicist.  No one lives and
breaths it like we do.  That is why we are here.

  In an ideal world, xray techs would be able to answer all patients
questions.  Patients have questions about risks of contrast media injections
during IVPs and other questions.  Sometimes the answers are best left to
others;sometimes the tech. has the exact answer right there.

In the defense of the xray techs who appear not to be part of this forum to
defend themselves, at least part of the problem is that the answer about
dose from the exam is not a simple number.  The "dose" varies from xray room
 to xray room, depends on film speed, screen speed, tube filtration, etc.
etc.  If the physicist has posted the unit output, fluoro dose rate and
perhaps the dose for several common exams, then perhaps the tech can give
the patient an accurate answer.  Some states require this information be
posted on the xray unit.  If they do not have the information posted, I
don't think the tech can be blamed for not having a number to supply the
patient. {True, the "like a day in the sun" answer is not appropriate.}

Okay, this former xray tech [who used to teach techs about the regulations,
dose limits, etc.] who has strong feelings on this issue, will now give you
all a break and be quiet.

Aggie
Agnes.Barlow@Yale.edu
standard disclaimer--its just my opinion