Subject: Re: Patient dose from dental radiography
Author:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu at +inet
Date:    2/13/97 5:37 PM

julian.gibbs@mcmail.vanderbilt.edu wrote:

> Dose at skin entry for intraoral dental films is now of the order of 1-1.5 mGy
> (sometimes a bit less) depending on projection and beam energy (dentists
> currently use machines ranging from ca 50 to 80 kVp half-wave rectified and in
> some newer machines 60-70 kVcp).  Skin dose from panoramics is difficult to
> specify because of the changing source-skin distance as the machine traverses
> its prescribed path.
>
> Julian Gibbs

A good note about EDE (below) vs skin entry, but is EDE for a dental
x-ray like thinking about the "life-shortening effect" of hitting
(tapping) your finger with a hammer?  :-)  And since dose is e/mass, as
Vic Bond, John Cameron and others have often noted, the idea of adding
them is like thinking about adding 1 hit to each finger as 10 hits to 1
finger?

Regards, Jim Muckerheide
jmuckerheide@delphi.com