Re: I-131 PATIENT WORKING AT NUCLEAR POWER PLANT

At 11:29 AM 2/14/97 -0600, you wrote:

>So, do we now have general agreement that, when a radiation worker has
>an intake of a medical radionuclide, that person is restricted from
>radiological work until the radionuclide has died/been excreted to some
>defined level?  If so, what is that level?
>
>Does the restricted person still receive full pay during the restriction
>period?  Do all nuclear factilities have policies that address this
>issue?  Should they?  Are the policies based on safety of other workers
>or on some other criteria?  What are the criteria?
>
>Al Tschaeche xat@inel.gov

Among the records the user's should to keep because of regulation and
according with the code of practice,  one is the Health Record. The Health
Record contains a chapter denominated "SPECIMEN PERSONAL HISTORY" and should
contain, for each occupational worker, all medical history and physician's
examination performed on an employee while he is an occupational worker.
Usually such record  is required to be preserved for 50 years after the last
entry, the reason is promptly check for any necessary examination or
investigation.
To help user's  and MD of conducting  properly any possible situation
concerning Radiation Protection and Medical Management, the IAEA published
the Safety Series  n. 83 Recommendations -- Manual for Occupational
Physicians, (175 pages).This Safety Series contains  guidance on the medical
aspects of radiation worker health, as well as, the basic radiation
protection information for the physician to practice preventive occupational
medicine. Such professional is responsible to advise licensee's  Health
Physics Sector, as well as,   to define and decide any  work's  right,
accordingly the  relevant precaution on the  protection of an occupational
worker.

J. J. Rozental <josrozen@netmedia.net.il>
Consultant, Radiation Safety & Regulattion
for developing country