Re: Queries

Radsafers,
I apoligize if some of the postings I have made seem like an RSO with
common sense should be able to answer. The reality is when dealing
with other occupationally exposed union workers one must tread very
cautiously. Many workers consider us among the" administrative type"
who aren't necessarily concerned primarily with their safety.

Two examples ( both involving family physicians)

1. A "Refusal to Work" under the provinces Occupational Health and
Safety Act by a trucker who claimed he had an allergic reaction
(broke out in a rash) whenever he entered a certain lab where radioactivity was used. His
family physician backed him up with a written statement excusing him
from this work. Early investigation on our part revealed that the lab
in question was doing research using baby chicks (chicken dander!!!)
 It took us six long months and a consult with the provincial
Department of Labour to resolve this issue.

2. A research lab graduate student, on discovering she was pregnant,
who was working with H-3 only was concerned for the fetus. Instead of
seeking advise from Radiation Safety first, saw her family physician
who advised her to abort, which she did.

I want to be able to go to my workers and say , experience from other
institutions indicate........., and not just to say "don't worry,
it's not a concern". I would rather quote personal experiences than
ask staff to read the scientific literature.

Pauline Jones
pjones@kilcom1.ucis.dal.ca