Re: Queries

At 16:34 19.02.1997 -0600, you wrote:
>Frank Borger said,
>
>> 	The fault lies  not with the physician, but with the
>> 	education process, for not giving physicians tools to
>> 	enable them to make logical decisions.
>
>What do they say when you're prosecuted for not knowing that a law
>was broken? Ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law. In this
>case, an aborted fetus, one has to hold the physician accountable. In
>reality, the physician has to be held accountable for ALL decisions
>they make. If they make decisions on falsehoods, or other reasons, do
>we just say, oh, they didn't know any better? I think not! Besides,
>aren't physicians intellignet enough to ask for another opinion, from
>someone who would know?

It might sound ridiculous, but I am on sickleave since almost three weeks
because of a very severe case of thrombophlebitis. The doctors I consulted
have asked during the last three weeks three other doctors to confirm their
diagnosis and their remedial actions. At no extra costs for me of course. I
do not regard this thrombophlebitis as life threatening. But I regard the
question of abortion as life threatening. Therefore it is not a question of
intelligence to ask for another opinion, but a question of common sense. In
any case I think that this "physician" should be held responsible for. At
least in Austria the fees for physicians are in such dimensions that they
should also take some responsibilitiy for what they do........

Hell, even the insurance companys require a
>second opinion for most procedures ... but I won't get into my
>thoughts regarding the ethics of insurance companys ... while I am
>still dealing with them ..
>
>------------------
>Sandy Perle
>Technical Director
>ICN Dosimetry Division
>Costa Mesa, CA 92626
>Office: (800) 548-5100 x2306
>Fax:    (714) 668-3149
>
>mailto:sandyfl@ix.netcom.com
>mailto:sperle@icnpharm.com
>
>Personal Homepages:
>http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/1205 (primary)
>http://www.netcom.com/~sandyfl/home.html (secondary)
>
>"The object of opening the mind as of opening
>the mouth is to close it again on something solid"
>              - G. K. Chesterton -

Schoenhofer
Habichergasse 31/7
A-1160 WIEN