Re: Multiple Dosimetry - ANSI N13.41 vs. Reg guide 8.34

> "For the purpose of weighting the external whole body dose (for adding
> it to the internal dose) a single weighting factor, wr=1.0, has been
> specified. The use of other weighting factors for external exposure will
> be approved on a case-by-case basis until such time as specific guidance
> is issued."

Unless I am mistaken, I believe that organ dose weighting factor
assumes an internal exposure, and the weighting factor then equates
that exposure to what a uniform whole body exposure would be, from
the internal uptake. The caveat provided by the NRC allows a facility
to use a different weighting factor based on data supplied for an
individual case, not globally. I don't believe that this section has
anything to do with multiple external dosimetry what-so-ever.

I will be interested in other perspectives regarding this.

------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director
ICN Dosimetry Division
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Office: (800) 548-5100 x2306
Fax:    (714) 668-3149

mailto:sandyfl@ix.netcom.com
mailto:sperle@icnpharm.com

Personal Homepages:
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/1205 (primary)
http://www.netcom.com/~sandyfl/home.html (secondary)

"The object of opening the mind as of opening
the mouth is to close it again on something solid"
              - G. K. Chesterton -