Re[2]: Queries: ROOT CAUSE

>It's sad, but its why NCRP/BEIR support the LNT: for $100s billions to "clean
up" to a few mr and to maintain bureaucratic regulatory programs to trivial
doses; this requires maintaining such public fear by misrepresenting the
data.....

OK, I think it is time that someone from Government (the Australian Government)
expresses their OWN PERSONAL opinion. I am not strictly a regulator. My
organisation "oversees" the environmental, including radiological health,
aspects of an Australian uranium mine which is surrounded by a national park and
is World Heritage Listed (the park, not the mine!!).

As you might imagine, there is considerable opposition to the mine being there
from Green groups etc. We have been able to maintain the trust and respect of
the Green groups and the mine operators by walking a tightrope of objectivity
and through completely open consultation with all stakeholders. There are NO
SECRETS, none at all.

Government, in democratic societies, must reflect the values of the public. The
public believes that radiation is harmful. Their belief is supported by advisory
groups such as ICRP, NCRP etc. Government has no choice but build legislation
around the tenets of such bodies. But it's a two edged sword. Government must
also be responsive to changes in knowledge or values amongst peak advisory
bodies and the public.

What's my point? If the nuclear/radiation industry thinks that the current laws
are a mockery of truth, it is up to the industry to drive the research, etc that
will give Government a lever with which it can change the legislation. This will
only happen through cooperation between government and the private sector.

I have, of course, grossly oversimplified the whole issue so I could fit it on
my soap box.

NEXT!

Alex Zapantis
Environmental Radiation Officer
Office of the Supervising Scientist
40 Blackall Street
Barton ACT 2600 AUSTRALIA

Email: azapantis@dest.gov.au
Fax : (int+) 61 6 274 1519
Phone: (int+) 61 6 274 1642

The Office of the Supervising Scientist is a Branch of the
         Federal Environment Protection Group