Re: Multiple Dosimetry and Weighting Factors

The footnote for the Table of organ weighting factors  in 10CFR20 refers to
the calculation of Total Effective Dose Equivalent (TEDE) which is the sum
of internal EDE and external DDE (from perosnnel dosimeter reading). It is
this TEDE that is limited to 5 rems a year, according to 10CFR20--an
important issue that is often neglected by many.   A whole body weighting
factor of one is recommended by NRC to weight the DDE.  The reason for NRC
to "invent" this whole body weighting is that the DDE tends to overestimate
the EDE as in the case of multi-badging and large angle exposure.   It opens
the door for other smaller-than-one whole body weighting factors, provided
you can justify it.

For those who are interested in more information related to this topic,
there is paper on HPJ, and I welcome any comment.

Xu, X. G.; Reece, W. D.; Poston, J. W. A Study of the Angular Dependence
Problem in Effective Dose Equivalent Assessment. Health Physics.
68(2):214-224; 1995.

George Xu
Assistant Professor and RSO
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute