RE: Lapel air sampling - Honest opinion

I have had a fair amount of experience with both types of air sampling during my
years in the uranium industry.  I feel strongly that area samples are NOT very
representative in many circumstances.  I have also evaluated BZA's which sampled
on the right vs. the left side of the shoulder and have found varying results
depending on the nature of the job and if the person was left or right handed.

I believe this type of assessment technique for internal dose determination is
at best an indicator of whether more measurements and bioassays should be
performed.

Using the BZA as a trigger for additional controls/measurements is the most
practical from my experience.  If a BZA result indicated a certain % of the DAC
then a urine sample may be requested for example...  The other issue was how to
handle these results if one had on a respirator and the licensee did not have an
approved respiratory protection program..  that's another story.

Regards,

William A. Lorenzen, R.S.O.
Children's Hospital
Boston, MA