Airplane crash

  I am trying to locate information about the crash of a nuclear powered
airplane that occurred in the mid '50s and the estimated dose to a person
that was involved (this is not sci-fi).  Any help you can provide will be
appreciated.
  About 1954 (not sure of exact date), a Northrop Wing, powered by what
was probably a GE reactor designed for a Nautilus class sub, lost power on
takeoff from what is now Langley Field.  It crashed on the base.  The
concrete and Pb shielding on the reactor broke loose and crused one of the
crew.  One other person in the vicinity of the reactor got a lethal dose.
There were two of three engineering crews on board at the time.  The
person about whom I am trying to get information was a member of the third
crew and helped with the rescue.  He was exposed to the unshielded reactor
as he helped remove the on-board crews.  Other rescuers were also exposed.
Afterwards, he was taken to Bethesda Naval Medical Center (he worked at
to the Naval Research Lab at the time) and treated.  He was later also
treated at NIH).  Over time, not sure how long, he would get skin lesions.
He was treated for these by injection of something unknown to him.  Either
the injections or the lesions made him sick for 2 to 3 days.
  This person died several years ago, although probably not from the
effects of radiaion.
  My questions.  Does anyone have any information about the accident?
Does anyone have any suggestions about how I might get information about
the possible dose this person received?  His son, who was in utero at the
time (& is now my son-in-law) said he Dad was told not to be around small
children because they didn't know what affect it might have (I doubt it
would have had any).  The son would like to learn more about the accident
and the possible dose his Dad might have gotten.  Any help you can give
will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Les Fraley, retired
Radiological Health Sciences