Subject: high-level and low-level
Author:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu at Internet
Date:    2/26/97 9:27 AM

I am constantly hearing the argument that the government
and the nuclear industry are trying to deceive the public
through the use of the term low-level radioactive waste.  The
argument starts off by implying that the term low-level
radioactive waste is supposed to mean that there are low levels
of radiation/radioactivity associated with it and then goes on
to demonstrate that some low-level radioactive
waste actually has very high levels of radiation/radioactivity in
it.

I think that the premise of the argument is false, so my
question is this:  What are the origins of the terms low-level
and high-level with regard to radioactive waste.

I know the NRC definitions, but they don't really answer the
question.  I have heard, but asides from the above never seen
in print, two explanations.  First, that the terms refer to the
amount of heat generated in the waste, and second that the
terms are associated with the nuclear fuel cycle (i.e.,
low-level radioactive waste is associated with a first-order
magnitude nuclear fuel cycle (open-cycle) and high-level
radioactive wastes are associated with a second-order
magnitude nuclear fuel cycle (closed-cycle).  Neither
explanation seems complete and has obvious exceptions.

I would appreciate any information anyone could give
(especially references).

Thanks in advance.

William J. McCabe, Health Physicist
Texas Natural Resource Conservation Commission
P.O. Box 13087
MC-131
Austin, Texas  78711-3087
wmccabe@tnrcc.state.tx.us