WING et al. article and Lung Cancer

Bill Field wrote:

> An interesting side note to the lack of adjustment for both smoking and
> radon exposure in the Wing et al. article concerning lung cancer rates
> around TMI:
>
> In 1994, Barbara Alexander et al. published an interesting article in the
> Health Physics Journal entitled, "Areas of the United States with Elevated
> Screening Levels of Radon-222" (66:50-54;1994). The region of the United
> States that they claim has the highest screening radon concentrations
> contains the counties surrounding TMI (Cumberland, Dauphin, Lancaster - my
> birthplace, Lebanon, Perry and York Counties).  They noted average
> screening radon concentrations of 659 Bq m-3 (18 pCi/L) for this region.
>
> It is my view that the radon and smoking rates needed to be considered in
> the analyses of their data.
>
> Bill Field

Perhaps someone could review Bernie Cohen's data for the PA counties of
interest re lung cancer, and radon data. You can also look at lung cancer and
other cancers by using the CDC (either "PC/Wonder" or other access) for US
county-level cancer and all ICD mortality (and some morbidity) data, vs
Bernie's radon data (and compare to Wing's results).

Does someone have the data and calculational ability to estimate comparing the
TMI source (in Bq) vs the radon radioactivity source (perhaps by "per Bq/m^3")
 (per year?)?

Thanks.

Regards, Jim Muckerheide
jmuckerheide@delphi.com