Re: searching high & low

     William,  I'd recommend checking into the following good
     references that discuss the development of disposal of low level
     radioactive waste.  To some extent a discussion of the history
     provides the basis for low level and high level categories.  The
     book by Gershey briefly discusses intermediate level waste
     disposal, a classification in some European countries.

     NRC's NUREG-0945, Vol.1, Final Environmental Impact Statement on
     10 CFR Part 61, "Licensing Requirements for Land Disposal of
     Radioactive Waste."  November, 1982.  This is where the basis for
     the regulation is stated, and addresses the issues of the
     long-lived isotopes at low concentrations vice the short lived
     isotopes in greater concentrations, which isotopes are the
     largest potential risks long-term to the public (you'll be
     surprised since it's not Cs-137 or Co-60 from reactors).

     Gershey, Edward L., et al.  Low-Level Radioactive Waste, From
     Cradle to Grave, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 1990.

     Another excellent reference is Murray, Raymond L, Understanding
     Radioactive Waste, Battelle Press, Columbus/Richland, 4th edition
     (1994? - someone's borrowed my copy).

     good luck,
     Eric Goldin
     Southern California Edison