Subject: RE: Advice to teachers (reply)
From:    radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu at Internet2
Date:    3/5/97  11:26 AM

I guess we should ask ourselves the question: What do we recommend to
our neighbor who wants to discard 3 smoke detectors (ionizing chamber
with 0.9 uCi of Am-241) and replace them with 3, new and improved (?)
"photoelectric" models ?

The answer is not easy and in this world, nothing is free (quite the
opposite with ANY "radioactive waste").

Stephane Jean Francois Phys. eng
RSO
Merck Frosst Canada
stephane_jeanfrancois@merck.com
This is my opinion and do not involve my employer.