The "R" Word and the ALA

RECENTLY A NUMBER OF RADSAFERS HAVE BEEN DISCUSSING THE "R" WORD AND ITS
USE BY THE AMERICAN LUNG ASSOCIATION.  THE LAST MESSAGE RECEIVED ON THE
TOPIC WAS A QUESTION:

>Have you contacted the American Lung Association to comment on
>this?..If so, what was their response?
>
>If you haven't contacted them, why not?
>
>Ron Amoling
>RSO
>Joslin Diabetes Center
>amolingr@joslab.harvard.edu

ACURI (APPALACHIAN COMPACT USERS OF RADIOACTIVE ISOTOPES) ASSOCIATION DID
CONTACT THE AMERICAN LUNG ASSOCIATION VIA THE CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA OFFICE.
SINCE THE BROCHURE AND AMERICAN LUNG ASSOCIATION ADVERTISEMENTS ARE STILL
BEING USED, I WOULD HOPE THAT OTHERS WOULD CONTACT THE NATIONAL OR LOCAL
OFFICES OF THE AMERICAN LUNG ASSOCIATION.  BELOW IS A COPY OF THE LETTER
WHICH WAS SENT TO THE ALA of CENTRAL PA.  AS OF 3-7-97, THE AMERICAN LUNG
ASSOCIATION HAS NOT COMMENTED OR RESPONDED IN REGARD TO OUR LETTER.

November 13, 1996

American Lung Association of Central Pennsylvania
Dear Executive Director

Recently I was mailed a copy of the Community General Osteopathic Hospital
(CGOH) "Patient Information & TV Listings" advertisement (Ad) by a
concerned person associated with our Association.  The Ad, in question, was
by the American Lung Association.  It was titled, "We're the #1 Hope for
the #3 Killer, Lung Diseases" and it included two paragraphs under a
subheading "No Safe Smoke."  The area of concern was a sentence from the
two paragraphs, "Tobacco smoke and radiation may have this in common:
there is no safe level of exposure."

ACURI takes exception of the use of the term "radiation" in the Ad.  In
fact, after checking the American Lung Association's web site,
http://www.lungusa.org, we found that the American Lung Association makes
no mention of word "radiation", but does discuss RADON, a radioactive gas.
Your  web page points out that, "indoor radon exposure is estimated to be
the second leading cause of lung cancer."   It also states that there are
recommended US EPA levels of action that one can take to mitigate a
problem.

ACURI feels that the use of the word "radiation" in the advertisement sends
an unclear and incorrect message to the general public or specifically the
patients at the CGOH.  If people truly believe the Ad, patients at CGOH
might take every step possible to limit their own availability and use of
radiation for diagnosis and therapy.

ACURI believes that low levels of radiation exposure have low levels of
risk associated with them.  Radiation, at levels normally found in medical
practice, represents minimal risk while providing significant benefits to
the patients.

We bring this to your attention because we believe that your Ad's placement
was intended to be informative, not alarming to readers. The reference to
radiation should be removed from this Ad.  If you have any questions
concerning this matter, please contact our office.
Sincerely,
John R. Vincenti
ACURI Executive Secretary

John R. Vincenti