Re: radiology technology as a profession

Kevin Donohoe, MD, wrote:

> Anyone in Radsafe land have at hand literature that would address the
> question below?  It would be particularly helpful if it were
> understandable by a lay person.
>
> Please remember to send your reply directly to me at:
>
> kjd@nucmed.bidmc.harvard.edu
>
> Thanks for your help.

Hi Kevin, nice to 'see' you again. :-)

While I don't have a specific rad tech/leukemia ref at hand (I thought I
had seen one), note that BEIR V states (p247) in the Section on
Leukemia, following reports of studies of the Japanese survivors and
medical patients, eg, the ankylosing spondylitis patients, and 30,000
women treated for cervical cancer, and women treated for other cancers,
that: "Early cohorts of radiologists in the US (Lewis 1963, Science;
Matanoski et al 1984, p.83 in "Rad carcinogenisis: Epi and Biological
Significance" Boice, Fraumeni eds., Raven), the UK (Court & Doll 1958,
Br Med J.), and China (Wang et al 1988, J. Nat Cancer Res.), who were
exposed to x-rays occupationally in the days preceding modern safety
standards, also have shown an increased incidence of ALL and CGL."

Unlike other studies, BEIR here does not go further in producing a
linear value of the excess, so it is not likely significant. They would
surely have reported any other practitioner data reported (prior to
ca. 1989) that would have indicated a positive result. While not
specific
to leukemia, I attach below a recent paper abstract by Boice based on a
health survey of the >100,000 female rad techs certified since 1926 to
assess breast cancer. (Perhaps there is a resource there that can point
to other work from this cohort on leukemia.) I note below also some
other
leukemia studies in medical patients subject to long-term x-ray exposure
that may be relevant for perspective on lifetime exposure effects.

Note that Roz Yalow refers to the 1981 paper by Peter Smith and Sir
Richard
Doll about the *lack of effects* in UK radiologists who started practice
after
1921, vs the earlier (Court & Doll) study - which must have "excaped"
the
"vigilant review of all the data" by the BEIR Committee (yet another
one; in
the public interest of course)  :-)

Regards, Jim Muckerheide
jmuckerheide@delphi.com

> > > My child is a high school sr. who is interested in becoming a radiology
> > > technologist. Recently a nurse told us that she would not recomend this
> > > because she new two radiology techs at the same hospital that had developed
> > > leukemia. She also knew of a third at another hospital. I have never heard of
> > > this before. Do you have any statistics or studies relative to this or could
> > > you helppoint me to a source of such information?

Medical practioners

>From the abstract of Boice et al, 1995, in the Journal of the American
Medical Association, reporting on a case-control study to evaluate the
risk of breast cancer among women occupationally exposed to ionizing
radiation as radiologic technologists:

        "A health survey of 105,385 women radiologic technologists
certified by the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists since
1926. Among 79,016 respondents, 600 breast cancer cases were
identified. Each of 528 eligible subjects with breast cancer was matched
to five control subjects based on age, year of certification, and