please read

If anyone sent me e-mail to melissa@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu rather than
m-woo@uiuc.edu since the afternoon of Friday, March 7th, please resend to
m-woo@uiuc.edu.  I had to delete my entire mail spool on romulus.  E-mail
sent to m-woo@uiuc.edu was not affected, as it is directed to another one
of my machines.

Plea from the list-owner (my apologies for its length) -

Please everyone, if you have more than one e-mail account, want to
consolidate mail, and are planning to forward from one account to another,
make sure that you unsubscribe from the account from which you are
forwarding, if it's the one with which you are subscribed to RADSAFE.

There are a couple of possible outcomes from this: (1) the subscriber later
realizes that s/he cannot post to RADSAFE or send commands to the
listserver from user@address2 because the listserver wants to "see" the
message sent from user@address1; (2) the subscriber goes on vacation and
sets up an auto-responder message (often called a .vacation file) which
sends out an "I'm on vacation" message in response to any e-mail received.

Outcome #2 happened.  I logged into romulus this morning to find 3958
messages in my e-mail queue as a result of a mail loop caused by the
forwarded vacation message.  The file system was filled up, so
I couldn't delete messages one by one, and had to remove my entire mail
spool.  I have no way of determining what address this particular
subscriber is forwarding from.  The upside is that romulus didn't crash.

Moral of the story?  Think before you forward.  Sorry for the long rant,
but it *is* Saturday morning. <grin>  Thanks for listening.

--
Melissa Woo, Health Physicist                     |m-woo@uiuc.edu
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign        |ofc 1.217.244.7233