Re: P-32 and Skin Burns

Radsafers...

Check out Table 4.3 and accompanying text in NCRP Report No. 111 "Developing Radiation
Emergency Plans for Academic, Medical or Industrial Facilities", published in 1991.
With a few caveats, the skin contamination dose equivalent rate for P-32 (at a depth of
7 mg/cm-2) is 2397 mSv (240 rads) per hour per MBq of P-32 distributed over 1 square
centimetre of skin (appropriate for "infinite area" sources with average radii larger
than the range of the radiation in water).   For point sources (like hot-particles) on
the skin, the dose rate per MBq is considerably higher. For the information of our
American colleagues, 1 MBq is equal to 27 uCi.

Obviously, the skin dose is highly dependent on the amount of activity deposited and the
length of time it is resident. So an undetected splash or smear of P-32 on skin which is
not washed for some hours after the contamination event (assuming that people bathe or
shower once daily) could give one heck of a dose - certainly more than the annual dose
limit.   In Canada, the current annual skin dose limit for officially
designated radiation workers is 750 mSv, and will be reduced to 500 mSv with the
adoption of proposed new  regulations.

You should also reference "Medical Effects of Ionizing Radiation" by Mettler and Mosely
(Grune & Stratton 1985)- pages 126 - 130. It gives the following values for high
energy beta radiation from radionuclides on the skin surface: threshold erythema, 5-15
Gy (500-1500 rads); dry desquamation 17 Gy (1700 rads); bullous epidermatitis 72 Gy
(7200 rads).

Many years ago (before my time) in our facility, a radiopharmacy tech
accidentally splashed liquid Mo-99 in acid solution onto the anterior aspect of her
lower leg - which she unfortunately was unaware of  - and it was missed with routine
frisking. Mo-99 has numerous emissions, among them, a 1.2 MeV beta as well as wome high
energy gammas.  I understand that she developed a burn-like lesion on the the skin
within a day or so which ulcerated and took a long time to heal. The acid chemical
carrying the Mo-99 was fairly strong, which is likely why she developed symptoms so soon
-  and after much analysis,  it was determined to be a combined acid/radiation skin
burn. As soon as she complained of the initial symptoms, major effort was taken to
assess the amount of Mo-99 activity in the skin lesion, and estimate the radiation dose.
   There is no doubt that the radiation dose delivered was significant, and probably had
a lot to do with exacerbating the acid burn and the prolonged healing time.  I never
delved into all the details about the incident, but understand that the national
regulatory authority was involved in the subsequent investigation.

So we take skin contamination VERY seriously!

Karin Gordon
Radiation Safety Officer	voice	(204) 787-2903
Health Sciences Centre		fax	(204) 787-1313
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada	e-mail 	kgordon@cc.umanitoba.ca