gieger counters

On another email list I received the following note:

>I have a report that the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) plans to
>dump several hundred thousand "surplus" Gieger counters into landfills this
>coming summer of 1997. I would assume it is true as anything nuclear that DOE
>can close or destroy since Carter it has been done.
>
>The report also states the Health Physics Society in Salt Lake City has
>requested FEMA deliver 15,000 Gieger Counters to the National Teachers
>Association Convention taking place in New Orleans April 3-4.

Does anyone have any specific information on this?  Perhaps contacts?  This
is a great opportunity to use these surplus couters in public education and
donations to schools. If the note on delivering them to the conference is
correct this is great, but ANS and HPS shouldn't stop there.  Info?

Mike Baker

Michael C. Baker                        mcbaker@students.wisc.edu
Engineering Research Building       or baker@groves.neep.wisc.edu
1500 Engineering Drive
Madison, WI 53706

(608) 263-4692 (office)  (608)262-6707 (fax)  (608) 877-2373 (lab)