ED for a bitewing?

Group:
I need some help with this problem.

A dentist friend has asked what Equivalent Dose (ED) should be assigned
to a patient for each bitewing taken? He uses a cone, so the area is
known

For each bitewing the mas and the kV are known. He uses a filter so the
effective energy is known

Also known are the age and sex of the patient.

Also known and recorded is the blackening on the film, which is directly
proportional to ED(Sv).

Then, using the weighting factors, W(t) and W(r), for this procedure, it
should be possible to estimate the ED delivered by each bitewing.

However, I don't know what values to use for W(t) and W(r).

Can someone tell me where a table of them may be found, or give me a
reference to a document, i.e., ICRP/NCRP?

Medical procedures are the most important source of ED for the
population so, in keeping with ALARA, these W(t) and W(r) values must
exist.

--
Wade

mailto:hwade@talltown.com