Re: Transporting Wipes

        Group, excuse me for blowing up here but,

        GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!!  Its a good thing that I'm wearing boots today,
'cause its getting pretty deep!

        As I understand this, the lady wants to some wipes of an area and
count them somewhere else...Something that anyone with any experience in the
field has done literally thousands and thousands of times.

        If her wipe results are like most people's wipes (99.999% of the
time) they'll all be at background levels. If she's has a reason to believe
(after she's performed a survey of the facility with a portable survey meter
and maybe checked her wipes with the same meter) that the place is a
"Chernobyl" - I can see that she'd have some concern for "maybe" her wipes
actually approaching some limits for meeting/needing Title 49 (and other
Fed/State) guides, (the math is certainly simple) - but in most cases NO WAY...

        I can't believe the bureaucratic nonsense you people are
"recommending" as "experts"!!!!

        Instead of trying to blow her away, give her some REAL help...

        OK, I spent my "nickel" here, thanks for putting up with me....

        Joel

>Hello Radsafers,
>
> I am in need of some assistance from someone who is familiar with DOT
>regulations for transportation of radioactive materials.
>
> I would like to be able to collect some wipes for removable contamination at
>one location, and transport them to another location to be analyzed for the
>presence of  beta and gamma emmitters.  The location in which the wipes would
>be collected is a lab where H-3, C-14, S-35, P-32, I-125, and I-129 were
>handled in small quantities in the past.  The lab has not been used for over
>one year.
>
> While I do not expect there to be significant removable contamination on the
>wipes I collect, I cannot quantitate that activity without transporting the
>wipes to another location for analysis.  Any guidance which you can provide on
>proper packaging and labeling of  this material (for transport in my car if
>that's allowable) would be appreciated.
>
> PLEASE RESPOND TO ME DIRECTLY, NOT TO THE ENTIRE RADSAFE LIST.
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.
>
>  Pamela Hubley
>  Health and Safety Engineer
>  Millipore Corporation
>  EMAIL: pamela_hubley@millipore.com