Transport Wipe Responses

> So a wipe of a "clean" package is radioactive (by 2 orders of
> magnitude!) and has to be packaged in accordance with DOT regulations?

     Unfortunately, Kent,  the answer  based on  existing transportation
     regulations is  yes.  Using the numbers in your example it could be
     mailed with  somewhat lesser  requirements.   Silly isn't it?  I am
     not trying to defend nor justify the transportation regulations.  I
     am just trying to live with them the best I can along with everyone
     else.

     This is  addressed in  the new  ST-1 IAEA  Regulations for the Safe
     Transport of  Radioactive Materials  1996 Edition where an activity
     level for  an exempt  consignment is  established on  an individual
     nuclide basis.   A  cursory look  shows that  the range  is 10^3 to
     10^10 Bq.

I am sorry that my response elicited so much adverse commentary.  It was
not intended  to be  "bureaucratic nonsense,"  "more complicated than it
really has  to be," "intellectual elitism," or a "try to 'show off' what
they have  learned (or think they have learned)."  It was intended to be
a factual  synopsis of  the regulatory requirements which pertain to the
transportation of  radioactive material activities which may be found on
wipe samples.  To do less, I think would be inappropriate.  I think that
the information  that I  provided is factual and accurate; although I am
willing  to   discuss  on   a  rational   basis   any   differences   in
interpretation.   It was  my thought  that the  questioner is capable of
establishing  the  appropriate  screening  techniques  suitable  to  the
specific field situations and nuclides; and apply the proper regulations
which I  outlined.   I know  the procedures  that I  would use, and have
used, if  or when  I were  faced transporting  wipe samples, but that is
another issue.

I did  not say  that I  concurred with the transportation regulations in
this instance nor did I attempt to defend the requirements.

If  you   disagree  with   the  transportation  regulations,  find  them
bureaucratic  nonsense,   complicated,  or   elitist  then  contact  the
Radioactive Materials  Section, DHM-23,  Office of  Hazardous  Materials
Technology,  Research   and  Special   Programs  Administration,   U. S.
Department of  Transportation, 400  Seventh Street,  S. W.,  Washington,
D. C. 20590, 202-366-4545, Fax 202-366-3753.

Roy A. Parker, Ph.D.
E-Mail: 70472.711@compuserve.com
Tel: 504-924-1473
Fax: 504-924-4269