Re: Write Your Senator

The following notes should be considered in judging the merit of S.104:

>Date: Wed, 02 Apr 97 09:30:09 >From: "HARRY PEMBERTON" <pemberhe@songs.sce.com>
>
>       SanOnofreNuclearGenertingStation employees now have another
> opportunity to help ensure the continued success of the company and
> the future of SanOnofre.
>
>    On April 8, 1997, the United States Senate will vote on S. 104, the
>    Nuclear Waste Policy Act of 1997.  You are encouraged to write a
>    short, simple message to your Senator (Diane Feinstein/Barbara Boxer)
>    requesting their support of this bill.  Although there is support on
>    Capital Hill for this legislation, we must work to help ensure passage
>    with at least 67 votes to override an anticipated presidential veto.
>
>    Support of S. 104 is good for our industry for these reasons:
>
>    o   Utilities are running out of storage space because the DOE
>        has not kept their promise to begin taking fuel by 1998.
>        27 nuclear units will run out of on-site storage space by
>        1998, and it would cost consumers an additional $7 billion to
>        expand on-site storage.

A utility out of storage space is hopelessly incompetent. Argue that
storage space after 1998 should be paid from ratepayer waste fee funds
for no net cost. In fact there should be lower cost than having DOE do
it, unless DOE wants to compete for the funds to store fuel at existing
DOE sites. To depend on DOE even with the legislation demonstrates
hopeless ignorance.

>    o   Central storage in a remote area is a sensible approach that
>        is good for the environment.

Crap. Lying crap. NO environmental risks can be associated with leaving
fuel in dry storage at reactor sites, or other decentralized sites. The
fuel carried and burned to transport wastes to Yucca Mountain
constitutes an orders of magnitude greater "environmental cost" from
routine or accident considerations than leaving the fuel at local sites.

>    o   Consumers have already paid $13 billion through a tax on
>        nuclear generated electricity in return for the government
>        to manage used nuclear fuel.  Further delays will cost
>        consumers billions of dollars.

Right. The correct argument is that those funds, and continuing 0.1
cents/kWh ratepayer funds, be allocated to fund dry storage. The cost is
far lower than the cost of implementing the proposed legislation to have
DOE accept spent fuel at Yucca Mountain, even if DOE were competent and
willing to do it!

>    A short handwritten or typed note from you, your families and friends
>    is all that is needed.  You can also call the U.S. Capital switchboard
>    at (212) 224-3121.  Tell your Senators it is important that they vote
>    for the bill, and thank them for their support.  Address your letters
>    to:

Tell the Senators that a vote for the bill will further assure the
demise of nuclear energy in America. Perhaps that will get Boxer to vote
for it. Is Feinstein as bad?

>    The Honorable (Senator's name)
>    U.S. Senate
>    Washington, DC  20510
>
>    Thanks to your efforts in the past, we have been successful in
>    impacting the decisions of our lawmakers through the communication
>    process.  I urge you to take a few minutes and write your Senator.

I do too! :-)  But consider the difference between what's good for
nuclear energy and the country vs what's good for the utilities and
their executive managers. They'll be well off when nuclear professionals
are walking the streets or wasting $billions "cleaning up"
decommissioned plants, sentencing our children and grandchildren to a
weak economy and a world at war over gas and oil, in a world with
population growing by the total US population (263 million) every 3
years! with growing economies, especially China, compounding that in the
demand for oil, and with US gas/electricity prices skyrocketing once the
nukes are shut down - a campaign that's succeeding, with people like
O'Leary at the forefront, and utilities abandoning any social
responsibility for the country and economy.