Re: latex stopping power

MARKH_at_ehs@CCMAIL.UCSF.EDU wrote:

>      Could someone direct me to a table of stopping powers for latex with a
>      density of about 0.94 g/cc? I gather that the vulcanization process
>      can add minerals to the latex, but that 95% of the material is .88
>      Carbon and .12 Hydrogen by weight. The application is to find what
>      sort of protection against the beta particles was afforded by the
>      double gloves worn by an investigator working with P-32.
>      Thanks
>
>      Mark How
>      University of California, San Francisco
>      (415) 476-5303 voice
>      (415) 476-0581 fax

Mark,
It seems to me that it would be much easier, and more accurate, to just
measure it.  Take some P-32 and measure the dose rate with a thin wall
ion chamber ratemeter (for example, a Victoreen 450). Then add 1,2,3
layers of latex glove material.  Graph the dose rate versus numbers of
layers, and connect the dots.

Regards, Wes
--
Wesley R. Van Pelt, Ph.D., CIH, CHP                KF2LG
President, Van Pelt Associates, Inc.