Geometry for Counting Swabs

     We would like to be able to unconditionally release certain items that
     are too small to smear, but that are not too small to "swab."  Has
     anyone already worked out a geometry/protocol for counting these using
     either a proportional counter or a survey instrument that they would
     be willing to discuss with me?  (I am trying to avoid LSC since we
     don't currently have one on site)

     I need to be able to swab for both alpha and beta contamination.

     Related, though slightly more complex (at least in my mind) is the
     problem of counting nasal smears.

     Advice on these subjects will be appreciated.