Re: Anecdotes

At 04:56 AM 4/15/97 -0500, you wrote:

> It would take a fairly energetic stretch of the regs to convert a
>readily available lantern mantle into licensed material.
>Since the object was detected via contamination control "surveys" how
>would they be inadequate?
>
>Rege
>
>Regis A. Greenwood, C H P
>ragreen1@nwohio.com
>               OR
>ragreenwood@tol-ed.com
>
>Opinions expressed, if any, are solely my own, and not the
>responsibility of any other person or entity.

I remember in my younger days, NRC inspectors that believed that if
one did not have a byproduct license, then consumer items such as
lantern mantles and smoke detectors were a no-never-mind.  However,
if one HAD a byproduct material license, then even these items were
expected to be on the inventory and controlled.  I was even cited
for not have a smoke detector on my inventory along with everything
else.  Maybe things have changed since then.

Bob

      _/_/        _/_/      _/_/_/_/   Robert M. Loesch
     _/  _/    _/   _/     _/         US Department of Energy
    _/   _/  _/      _/   _/         EH-52, GTN, 270CC
   _/	  _/ _/       _/  _/_/_/_/   19901 Germantown Road
  _/    _/  _/      _/  _/         Germantown, MD  20874-1290
 _/    _/    _/   _/   _/         Tel: 301 903-4443;  Fax: -7773
_/_/_/       _/_/     _/_/_/_/   loesch@spok.eh.doe.gov
 "The definition of a public health disaster is a catastrophe so large
     that an epidemiologic study can detect it."    David Ozonoff