Re: Anecdotes

Bob,

The regs haven't changed.  It was a incorrect citation then and it
would be an incorrect citation now.  The problem is twofold: (1) The
licensing/exempt/gl sections of the regs are very poorly written;
and (2) no one reads then, anyway.  So inspectors would write the
citation and no one would challenge it.

(yes, we all know by now that this is one of my pet peeves)

Wes

> Date sent:      Tue, 15 Apr 97 06:53:12 -0500
> Send reply to:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
> From:           "Robert M. Loesch" <loesch@spok.eh.doe.gov>
> To:             Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:        Re: Anecdotes

> I remember in my younger days, NRC inspectors that believed that if
> one did not have a byproduct license, then consumer items such as
> lantern mantles and smoke detectors were a no-never-mind.  However,
> if one HAD a byproduct material license, then even these items were
> expected to be on the inventory and controlled.  I was even cited
> for not have a smoke detector on my inventory along with everything
> else.  Maybe things have changed since then.
>
> Bob

Wesley M. Dunn, CHP                        512-834-6688
Deputy Director, Licensing                 512-834-6690 (fax)
(Texas) Bureau of Radiation Control        wdunn@brc1.tdh.state.tx.us